Turn your home into a natural and relaxing oasis with house plants! Especially in these times when we spent most of our time at home and can’t go for a holiday, why not turn your home into a tropical vacation to get the same easy-breezy vibes? While pleasing to the eye, house plants are also helpful to the mind, body and spirit. Transforming your home with plants can make you feel a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of your day.
Benefits of adding houseplants to your home
1. Purify Your Air
Merely walking into a room filled with houseplants can feel like an instant breath of fresh air, and we can confirm that this isn’t just a placebo feeling. Houseplants effectively purify indoor air by absorbing harmful toxins, leaving your air crisp and clean. Breathe vibrant new life into your space by adding nature’s purifier in your favourite spots at home. We recommend starting with one of our favourite go-to plants: the Snake Plant. It requires little light and water, perfect to enjoy its benefits while being super easy to care for.
2. Increase Your Focus, Productivity and Creativity
Whether you’re working from home, perfecting a family recipe or gaming away on your favourite consoles, houseplants have got you covered. They sit there looking pretty, and at the same time increase your focus and productivity. How? Plants release oxygen into the environment and studies show that increased oxygen can calm your mind so that you can focus on a task. The same study shows that reminders of nature and hues of green can produce the same soothing effects as taking a breezy stroll through the park.
3. Boost Your Immune System
Feeling stressed or tired? A new houseplant might be just what the doctor (or florist) ordered. Prescribe yourself a beautiful new houseplant and feel your symptoms subside. The purified air released by your house plants will give you a better night’s sleep, which means enabling your immune system sufficient rest and time to fight the nasties.
4. Mental Health Benefits
House plants can have powerful positive effects on your emotional, psychological and social well-being. This study even found that gardening tasks can lower one’s stress response and can help decrease symptoms associated with depression and anxiety. Like a pet, they can give you a renewed sense of purpose and offer a tangible, gratifying reward. Watching your plant babies grow and prosper because of your care can bring you a surprising amount of joy.
Which house plant should you get?
• Bird’s Nest Fern: A lush and tropical plant, that resembles a bird nest or even banana leaves! Their wavy leaves unfurled can make a beautiful and unique centrepiece. This pop of green can be the perfect addition to any home.
• Air Plant: This Instagram-worthy house plant requires a low-light environment and very little maintenance (find out how easy it is to care for them here). The Air Plant is a symbol of friendship and prosperity, making it an ideal gift for your loved ones.
• Succulent: Affordable and low-maintenance, succulents are an excellent addition to any home. Add a row to your windowsill to add vitality to your space.
• Fittonia: A striking and popular house plant, which comes in an array of beautiful shades! Do note that they are a little dramatic and can wilt quickly when they’re thirsty. Which serves as a daily reminder for us to stay hydrated too.
• Snake Plant: The Snake plant is easy to care for and quick-growing. Feel a boost of compassion and empathy as you see your Snake plant thrive, these plants also make a good reminder of how to stay resilient in tough times.
Just as each houseplant needs a certain environment and care steps to thrive – so do you. Be sure to treat yourself with as much kindness as you show your plants. Repeating positive phrases, giving them a dose of sunshine and keeping your plants hydrated can truly make them thrive, so watch yourself bloom when you give yourself the same amount of attention too!